Winter is near and with the changing season it's a good idea to take care of some"to dos" around your home. Each home is unique, but the following are good general thoughts heading into the winter that could prove worthwhile and save headaches or money! Some tasks can be completed by homeowners, while others are best left to experienced professionals.
1. Prepare Your Heating System -- Schedule a professional checkup and cleaning of your home's heating system before you need to turn it on. While you're at it, switch the direction of ceiling fans throughout your house to rotate clockwise.
2. Look for Leaks -- Check all doors, windows, attic hatches, external vents and electrical outlets for leaks, and add caulk, weather stripping and insulation to prevent warm air from escaping. Don't forget to inspect the roof and replace any loose or damaged shingles.
3. Check Fire Safety Equipment -- Test and/or change the batteries in all smoke detectors. Also, inspect fire extinguishers to ensure they're in good working order.
4. Prepare Plumbing -- Turn off and drain outdoor hoses, sprinklers and irrigation systems, and consider picking up faucet covers for outdoor spigots. Protect exposed pipes and plumbing in uninsulated areas with pipe insulation to help deter freezes.
5. Tackle Yardwork -- Clear fallen debris from the roof and rain gutters. Now's also the time to trim branches and remove any dead trees or shrubs.
6. Have your Fireplace Inspected -- hire a qualified technician to check masonry bricks and do a thorough sweep of chimney.
Lastly, another great way to save money this winter is to let the team at MFS Insurance provide a homeowners quote for you! We have over 10 companies specializing in personal home and auto insurance When shopping for insurance, options are good. So call the MFS team in Stuttgart, Forrest City, Marianna, Greenbrier, or Little Rock to start saving money today.